Friday, September 11, 2009

Coffee cake: A recipe and why you shouldn't eat it at 10pm

I adore coffee.

I love the taste, the smell, the way it makes you feel instantly happier as it hits your taste buds. And nose buds. Or whatever they're called.

I love coffee.

I'm about to share a recipe for a super easy coffee cake that is actually a coffee cake. It's also super unhealthy, so some of my readers may want to divert their eyes for this one.

I've been drooling over this cake for about a week, but since I didn't have all the ingredients, I just drooled on my keyboard and added the neccessary items to my shopping list. Because I will be making it. Oh yes, I will.

In the meantime, it occurred to me that I could just add some coffee to a regular old box mix and see what happened. Oh boy, what happened was pure deliciousness. Here we go!

Grab any cake box mix. I used a yellow cake, but just this very second I'm wondering how delicious this would be with a chocolate cake. If someone else tries that version, you MUST let me know. Okay, so grab a box mix and the stuff you need to go in it. Mine called for eggs, oil and water.


There are 3 things you do differently for this cake.
1. Replace the water with a strong cup of coffee. I mean it.
2. Add a 1/3 of sour cream. Because sour cream makes everything better.
3. Add 1 tsp. of vanilla. Because vanilla also makes everything better.

Mix well.

Grease and flour you pan. I used a bundt pan, because I think it's more coffee cake-esque.

Spoon in and bake according to the box directions.

Whip up some icing. For coffee cake, especially one as moist as this one, I think thick icing is just overkill. Using softened butter, cream (or milk) and powdered sugar (oh! And a tablespoon of coffee and a dash of vanilla), whip up some glaze. Add more or less cream to reach your desired consistency.

Wait patiently for the cake to bake.

Voila!

Drizzle your glaze and eat immediately. Or wait until it's cooled so you don't burn your tongue. It's totally up to you.

The coffee flavor is just strong enough to taste, but not strong enough to be overpowering.

Serve with coffee ice cream and a cup of coffee. Or don't. At least not at 10pm. Then you'll be up until 2am doing jumping jacks. Trust me.



P.S. The leftovers also make a very unhealthy, delicious breakfast. Just so you know.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked this post. Great.

    That sounds yummy! Great pictures too!!

    ReplyDelete