Monday, May 11, 2009

Body after baby - No sugar week

Week one of my body after baby challenge didn't go so well. In fact, it went the opposite of well. I did really, really bad.

As we head into week two, I think I've reached a turning point mentally. I'm drastically changing my short term goals this week and making them much harder.

I had an epiphany this week. I don't know how to do sweets and treats in moderation. I can't just have one cookie or two bites of ice cream. So this week I'm eliminating sugar entirely. Yup, I'm going hard core.

Here's the thing, I'm a pretty healthy eater through the day -I usually juice some vegetables for breakfast and eat something healthy with Peanut for lunch. Around 3:00 I get the munchies and I start raiding my husbands snack stash. I'm not like a normal person, I can't stop at a handful of potato chips - I'm seriously lacking in self-control.

Mindy brought my attention to this great article through one of her posts last week and it was just the kick in the pants I needed. The things that stood out to me the most is the fact that sugar is addictive and has no nutritional value.

So here are my goals for the week:

1. No sugar. That means not even a teaspoon in my coffee.
2. Raw, raw, raw. At least one salad a day with lots of snacky fruits.
3. No "junk". To me, this means potato chips, processed foods and fast food.
4. Walk with Peanut at least 3x this week and work on toning my trouble areas.

I'm going to need a lot of support this week, so feel free (in fact, please DO!) stop by and ask me how it's going. "No sugar week" started this morning, so I already have one meal under my belt. Here we go!

9 comments:

  1. I've recently started on a no sugar period as well. Check out this post over at my blog...I've been doing well and I'm on day four.

    Don't be so hard on yourself..it's really tough!(((HUG)))
    http://weighlessandweightless.blogspot.com/2009/05/beating-sugar-addiction.html

    Breeze

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was pregnant with Benjamin, I had to completely give up sugar and white flour. It made my morning sickness 10x worse! At first it was hard because it IS so addictive, but after awhile, even a bite of something with sugar tasted TOO sweet. Your body and taste buds will definitely adjust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are like me, I can't stop at just one! :( I'm trying to give it up this week too, good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beware of added sugar/HFCS in things like salad dressings, peanut butter, pasta sauce and ketchup. Even cereal. It can be very surprising!

    Good luck! It may get really hard for a few days, but I know you'll feel so much better after you "detox"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can leave all that candy you forgot to bring to the game with mom tomorrow and Ill pick it up and "take care" of it for you. Especially those Mike and Ikes you dont like anyway lol. No, I really don't need it either, and It is hard to stop. I laugh when I read those articles that say to have one chocolate kiss and it will satisfy your cravings. HA HA HA
    GOOD LUCK, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I went no sugar cold turkey it helped to eliminate sugary foods as well, foods that are high on the glycemic index were often trigger foods for me.

    But keep at it after a couple of weeks you won't even miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can do it! But even if you "mess up", don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can do it! The "bad" bugs in your gut will start screaming at you and demanding you eat more sugar, but I know you can win the fight. It's a fight I need to begin - I'm spiraling out of control over here! If you aren't already, start taking some probiotics to help boost the number of good bugs in your system.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had go off 'the coffee' because of sugar. I was dumping like three+ tsps in it, and don't get me started on abusing all those dee-leeshous creamers that beckon me from the dairy section!

    Good luck in your endeavors. If you survive, I might give it a whirl.

    I loves me some sweet stuff :)

    ReplyDelete