Thursday, February 18, 2010

Dearest daughter,

Almost three years ago, our lives changed forever when we found out that you were on the way. I still remember the range of emotions I felt in those moments after I spotted that faint little pink line on my home pregnancy test. I was filled with elation, terror, anticipation and joy all in the same split second. Your daddy and I were so, so happy to be expecting you!

Your pregnancy seemed to drag on forever as I counted the days to my due date and prayed for you and your arrival. I remember I first time I felt you kick me and how special it made me feel. A special connection to you, my child, my baby, that only I could experience.

I wanted you to pick your birthday. But you were due on my birthday and I wanted so badly to share it with you! But you had other plans. Eight long days after my birthday, you let me know that it was time. It's only been two years, but I don't think I'll ever forget the moment I first laid eyes on you. Screaming and pink and all mine. Ours. You were so beautiful. Your daddy and I couldn't take our eyes off you, our beautiful, perfect baby girl. Moments after you were born we bowed our heads and thanked God for your life and for giving you to us.

When you were tiny and new, whenever I would think about how full my heart was and how very much I loved you, I couldn't hold back tears.

And it only got better. That first year of watching you grow was nothing short of amazing. You became the center of our world and we wouldn't have had it any other way. You learned to give hugs and kisses and say our names and we fell in love with you all over again.

Tomorrow you turn two. Two! Oh my darling, I don't know how that happened. Sometimes it makes me sad that you have to grow up. I want you to stay little so I can always rock you to sleep and make you feel better with one little kiss. But then I remember that I wished the same thing last year - when you turned one. And I can't imagine missing out on this wonderful year of you turning two.

Tonight I laid you in your bed and kissed you little head and wished you sweet dreams. And then I heard your little sleepy voice whisper "hold me, mommy" and I remembered that it was your last night as a one year old. So I rocked you. I rocked you and sang you your favorite songs. I rocked you until you fell asleep. And then I rocked you some more. My sweet little one year old. Tomorrow you'll be my sweet little two year old. And even though at this moment I'm not sure how, I'm sure that I'm going to love you more tomorrow than I loved you today.

Happy birthday, baby.

Love forever and always,

Mommy


5 comments:

  1. You just made me cry.

    Beautiful, Molly. Happy #2! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Maddie!!

    Wishing you a great day and wonderful year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too sweet! Happy birthday to your little one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! And happy memory making!

    ReplyDelete